TESRP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Skyrim- The Reach] Traveler's respite (Open)

2 posters

Go down

[Skyrim- The Reach] Traveler's respite (Open) Empty [Skyrim- The Reach] Traveler's respite (Open)

Post by Sigismund Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:11 pm

It is not uncommon wisdom that no man or woman should ever spend too much time in Skyrim's harsh weather. Even a man such as Sigismund, used to traveling the countryside for extended periods of time, needs his occasional break from the wilds. The weather had been so kind to deliver a freezing rain, and light woods he was traveling through provided little to know protection at all. His cloak was soaked, and he needed to find shelter fast.

His horse slowly trudged along the muddied road, only just perking its head up when the distant howl of a wolf reached its ears. It stamped around impatiently for a moment, until Sigismund steadied his mount. He could see a dim light in the distance: solace was near. He urged his mount forward until he came upon a small inn by the name of the The Tempered Traveler. He dismounted just outside the entrance, tying the horse to a piece of rail before taking the few steps into the Tavern.

Inside he lowered his hood as a Breton called out across the room.

"Welcome to The Tempered Traveler, friend. Is there anything I can get for you?"

Sigismund walked across the room, standing beside the large fire in the center to warm his hands and dry his clothing. He didn't look over to the owner as he called out in response.

Some warm food, if you have any, a bed, and some shelter for my horse if you have room." He said politely, still focusing on the fire. "And some mead!"

The Breton briefly eyed Sigismund's sword before calling something to a woman who must have been his wife. The owner himself pulled on a cloak and stepped out, hopefully to find a place for his horse. A few moments later he returned drenched, and the woman brought him his food.

"Fifteen Septims for everything." She said reservedly, not looking directly at the traveler. Sigismund fetched a few coins from his purse and handed them over. He curled himself up near the fire, enjoying the simple meal of Horker meat and cheese.

The fire was warm and welcoming tonight. It always was for the travelers of the wilds.
Sigismund
Sigismund

Back to top Go down

[Skyrim- The Reach] Traveler's respite (Open) Empty Re: [Skyrim- The Reach] Traveler's respite (Open)

Post by Guest Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:53 pm

No one heard the door open. Or saw the woman enter the Tavern. She was just suddenly standing before the closed door, her black cloak dripping wet. She walked up to the counter, and asked for a warm meal, a warm drink, and a bed for the night in a quiet voice.

Those that glimpsed under her hood couldn't quite remember what they saw when they looked away. Those that weren't looking wouldn't only be able to guess her height or build. But there would be one thing all could agree on, she moved with an uncanny smoothness, and didn't make a sound.

The table she chose for her seat was the most shadowed in the room, yet still within the warmth of the fire.

Back to top Go down

[Skyrim- The Reach] Traveler's respite (Open) Empty Re: [Skyrim- The Reach] Traveler's respite (Open)

Post by Amator Bellum Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:03 am

However, the next entrance was quite heard.

A loud clang rang out as the door to the small tavern opened violently, a tremendous Imperial stepping in. Broken, beaten, scarred, panting, smelling like a dead yak and looking like an overweight draugr, the beads of sweat and blood dripping from his worn, bearded face.

"BARKEEP!" he demanded in a loud voice, slamming his fist on the nearest flat surface.

"I NEED DRINK! AND A CHAIR! I NEED TO SIT! FOR TONIGHT I HAVE SEEN THE EVIL! I AM VERNUS REX! CHAMPION OF THE IMPERIAL ARENA! I AM GOOD TO PAY WHATEVER BILLS I OWE! ALLOW ME A SEAT, FRIENDS, AND I SHALL TELL THE TALE..."

He wiped his forehead.

"...OF THE NIGHT EVIL!"
Amator Bellum
Amator Bellum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sigismund Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:38 am

He watched as the new visitor entered, his eyes carefully examining her as she moved. It was strange to him, seeing a woman traveling on a night like this at this late of an hour. While the women of Skyrim were certainly hardy, the weather of the day was something that would drive even the hardiest outdoorsmen to cover. He finished his meal while still in quiet reflection before bring his plates to the bar. The owner accepted the utensils and passed them on to his wife.

Sigismund then turned and approached the woman, his face revealing only a slight curiosity.

"I would hope, per chance, if the lady would entreat to me why she travels at night on a cold rainy day?"

He looked back at the new entree, a smile curling up as he shook his head.

"Or perhaps, it would be more pressing to allow this man to tell his story..."
Sigismund
Sigismund

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:11 am

The woman didn't look up from her own meal, save to glance at the one speaking to her "I am looking for something that was lost long ago. Rumors say it's a shrine of some sort. It is nearby."

She looked up calmly as the boisterous Imperial entered the tavern. Did she smile? Or did her face remain expressionless? No one looking at her could quite tell. "But by all means, let this stranger tell his story before I tell mine..."

Last edited by Nocturnal on Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Amator Bellum Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:25 am

"Much obliged. GATHER ROUND, EVERYBODY! I SAWS THE EVIL AND I FIGURE I'D EXPLAIN IT!"

The bawdy Imperial did not wait for everyone to gather around.

"I WAS SENT HERE FROM MY HOME LAND OF CYRODIIL - as a PRISONER! Well, just as we were coming into Skyrim, BOOM! OUT OF THE WOODS! THE EVIL! IT SACKED OUR CARAVAN! Well, I'm a proud Imperial Citizen AND SEVEN TIME Kvatch Arena Grand Champion! SO I SAYS, OH, I'LL HELP YA'S! And I did! I helped em! We fought, we was a fighting sort!"

"To the right! Was a monster as tall as the trees in Valenwood! As broad as... As broad as the gates of Leyawiin! HUGE! It stared us down! IT ATTACKED! I swung, I swung and I swung! But to no avail!"

"To our left! That is where our downfall came! Ten, thirty, a hundred - no! Two hundred little beasties, each the size of a common dog, or, or something! Yeah, it wasn't as big as the other creature, but there were so many!"

"Finally it was down to me, the Captain, and two men. 'CAPTAIN!' I says 'WE CAN'T HOLD THEM HERE!' I says. He knew it to be true. He told me to run - me! Vernus Rex, he told to run! I refused, but he pleaded. I was the only hope of the story being spread - the common man wouldn't believe a Legionnaire, he says, not after that incident in Dawnstar with the banquet hall, he says. I've no idea what he's talking about, but I book it. I run!"

"AND RUN I DID! For hours! The Evil followed me - for a bit. It seemed content to allow me my freedom. Though the Evil left, the wolves came. Many of them. They sought to eat me; but it was I who ate well."

"For a week I marched through this vile terrain, avoiding civilization with the watchful eye of a foreigner - one easily mistaken for a fugitive. Well, I finally saw a Legionnaire on patrol and I said..."

"I have seen an evil! The LEGIONS SLAIN! I ran as I had to! I am a criminal; bind me; to the prison, but I did what I had to!"

"And he just up and left, the bastard! Ain't nobody's done a thing since! I've told this story four times on my way here and not a blink did I receive! You'd think the folks round here were out fighting dragons, the amount of apathy I got!"

"So I winds up here; and I wants a drink. That's my tale, dammit. Lost in Skyrim, beset by an evil, and mighty thirsty."
Amator Bellum
Amator Bellum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sigismund Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:01 pm

"Certainly a fascinating tale." Sigismund said while crossing his arms. "Truly amazing he was able to survive..."

He looked back to the strange woman.

"You were saying something about a shrine?"
Sigismund
Sigismund

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:29 pm

The woman took out a piece of paper and unfolded it on the table. It looked like a local map, a large section of nearby forest had been circled. "Rumors say it's located in this area, but they do not tell who it is for. I'm afraid I'm not that good at map reading, I found myself lost."

"I can't help but wonder why it was lost, and what happened to it since. Has it been destroyed, looted, or crumbled from exposure to the elements? I'm no adventurer, I suppose this isn't something I can do."
And then she fell silent, going back to her meal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Amator Bellum Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:03 pm

"SHRINES! HA! The only shrine I need is one to Gaiden SHINJI; one where I can CLEAN MY BLADE! I will go to this shrine, I will see it, and in upmost certainty I will be UNIMPRESSED! But first, a drink! More drink! I need drink!"
Amator Bellum
Amator Bellum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sigismund Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:45 pm

Another smile rose on Sigismund's face as the boisterous man spoke again. While he seemed to lack in tact and subtlety, the man was at least entertaining to listen for a brief period of time.

Of course, any longer and he'd likely drive Sigismund far, far away. So he turned his attention back to the stranger.

"I have seen many ancient shrines in my travels. Is there something you wish to do? Some form of payment of respect or offering perhaps? If that is needed, I'd be happy to render my services for assistance." He mused, trying to avoid looking at the stranger and instead at the various persons watching the larger man speak.
Sigismund
Sigismund

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:57 pm

The woman slid the map towards Sigismund. "I simply need it's exact location found and marked on this map. Then, you will place it in the nightstand of the room you have rented. If you haven't found the shrine, and simply place it there, there will be no reward. If you do, there will be."

For once, her expression was clear, a small, fleeting, smile. "Quite a simple task, don't you think?"

Back to top Go down

Post by Amator Bellum Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:00 am

"I WILL FIND THIS SHRINE! And share the reward with any man who comes with me! But first! ALLOW ME RESPITE! And to tell again... TO TELL OF THE EVIL! It was twenty men tall, as broad as the sea!"

The Imperial relaunched his tale, only to those circled around him. He was enjoying himself thoroughly - and who would doubt such a scarred man? Truly, it was the Evil he saw.
Amator Bellum
Amator Bellum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sigismund Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:25 am

He gave a slight chuckle once the Imperial gave his reply to the comment. On the other hand, he wondered if the man had ever tried adventuring out into the woods before.

"Then I suppose I will have company then." He said with another chuckle. Sigismund accepted the map and walked back over to the bar, ordering another mead. He didn't know how many times the Imperial was going to give his story, so he should at least get comfortable for the duration.

He found himself lightly dozing as he waited.

Sigismund
Sigismund

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:30 am

The woman finished her meal and retired to the room she rented. She was gone before anyone else awoke the next morning.

Back to top Go down

Post by Amator Bellum Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:07 am

"ALLOW ME SLEEP, AND WE LEAVE IN THE MORROW!"

And thus, Vernus Rex did sleep.
Amator Bellum
Amator Bellum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sigismund Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:07 pm

"Very well." Sigismund said quietly as he finished the mead.

He found his way to the room an took to the bed.

He listened to the rain slowly beat against the inn as it rocked him to sleep.
Sigismund
Sigismund

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down