TESRP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

These books

+3
Alicia Jornali
Seeks-Many-Secrets
Calith
7 posters

Go down

These books Empty These books

Post by Calith Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:36 pm

Those who keep writing in this, be you daedra, spirits, fictional beings or mortals? Or am I simply slipping into insanity?
Calith
Calith

Back to top Go down

These books Empty Re: These books

Post by Seeks-Many-Secrets Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:37 pm

We are mortals.
Seeks-Many-Secrets
Seeks-Many-Secrets

Back to top Go down

Post by Calith Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:44 pm

Good to know i'm not seeing things or conversing with daedric creatures.

I don't suppose anyone knows why this was at the back end of a cave in a locked chest, or who made it?
Calith
Calith

Back to top Go down

Post by Seeks-Many-Secrets Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:45 pm

Some Daedric Prince made them. Probably Hermaeus Mora, based on my knowledge of Oblivion.
Seeks-Many-Secrets
Seeks-Many-Secrets

Back to top Go down

Post by Calith Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:59 pm

... If I see a single dremora writing in these pages, i'm throwing this thing off of a cliff.

With that done, greetings one and all. Is anyone possessing one of these tomes from Valenwood or Skyrim?
Calith
Calith

Back to top Go down

Post by Alicia Jornali Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:03 pm

Not from either, but I'm currently in Skyrim.

Oh, and a word of warning: don't try to destroy the book. It... lashes out, for lack of a better term.
Alicia Jornali
Alicia Jornali

Back to top Go down

Post by Calith Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:19 pm

Alicia Jornali wrote:Not from either, but I'm currently in Skyrim.

Well met dunmer, i've encountered few of your kind in these lands.

Oh, and a word of warning: don't try to destroy the book. It... lashes out, for lack of a better term.

As in it launches a spell at you or disintegrates any weapon which touches the paper?
Calith
Calith

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelin Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:31 pm

Calith wrote:As in it launches a spell at you or disintegrates any weapon which touches the paper?
Whatever it is, I've never tested it to found out, and I have no intention of doing so.

Good tidings to you.
Amelin
Amelin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightshade Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:41 pm

The last person who tried was hurt quite bad. I do not know how, but I am fairly certain they are still about. Welcome to these ledgers, by the way.

They're also apparently bound to the owner. Someone tried to sell their copy, and a little while later, it returned to them. So even if you pitch it off a cliff, it'll most likely come back. Provided it doesn't murder you.
Nightshade
Nightshade

Back to top Go down

Post by Jalum-Ek Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:48 pm

Hey, it didn't hurt me that badly. It only tried to break my fingers, and sure, they're a bit bruised, but I'm otherwise unharmed.

And yeah. Far as I can tell, once you've found one of these, you're stuck with it. Enjoy.

Jalum-Ek

Back to top Go down

Post by Calith Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:57 pm

Then i'll just have to find somewhere it will have a very hard time coming back from. Still, no need to try and get rid of it just yet.

Hold on, exactly how did a book try to break your fingers?
Calith
Calith

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightshade Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:03 pm

Jalum-Ek wrote:Hey, it didn't hurt me that badly. It only tried to break my fingers, and sure, they're a bit bruised, but I'm otherwise unharmed.

Then I am glad you are all right. Out of curiosity, have you tried anything else to destroy the books?
Nightshade
Nightshade

Back to top Go down

Post by Jalum-Ek Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:07 pm

Calith wrote:Then i'll just have to find somewhere it will have a very hard time coming back from. Still, no need to try and get rid of it just yet.

Hold on, exactly how did a book try to break your fingers?
I was going to burn my book, so I just put it on the floor and prepared a fire spell to burn it. Before the spell even leaves my hand it, it, uh, "jumped" up and clamped itself round my fingers. That kinda broke my concentration, so the spell I had in the hand it attacked went out and it let go a moment later.

I then stabbed it with my dagger using my other hand and the same happened.

Nightshade wrote:Then I am glad you are all right. Out of curiosity, have you tried anything else to destroy the books?

No. I'm not going to risk it doing anything worse than just bruising my fingers. I was considering throwing it into the bay before I tried to burn it, but I think I'll pass on that. For all I know it'll try drowning me if I do.

Jalum-Ek

Back to top Go down

Post by Calith Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:12 pm

Jalum-Ek wrote:I was going to burn my book, so I just put it on the floor and prepared a fire spell to burn it. Before the spell even leaves my hand it, it, uh, "jumped" up and clamped itself round my fingers. That kinda broke my concentration, so the spell I had in the hand it attacked went out and it let go a moment later.

Perhaps they could be trained to attack things. It sounds like they'd be bloody exceptional at hunting rabbits.
Calith
Calith

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightshade Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:15 pm

You want to try training a book to attack rabbits.

...Good luck with that. That would actually be interesting to see.
Nightshade
Nightshade

Back to top Go down

Post by Calith Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:23 pm

Nightshade wrote:...Good luck with that. That would actually be interesting to see.

It would be easier than trying to shoot them with arrows if they're as agile as Jalum-Ek suggests.
Calith
Calith

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightshade Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:25 pm

Hm...Maybe if someone ties a rope tightly around it and attach it to a tree or to the ground somehow, then tries to set it on fire. Provided the rope doesn't burn, it might be destroyed if it can't retaliate.

Not that I intend to destroy my copy. Seems like a waste.
Nightshade
Nightshade

Back to top Go down

Post by Asren Free-Spirit Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:57 pm

Wind guide you, and try not to stab the tome. And as a suggestion, just throw it in a body of water if it scares you badly enough.
Asren Free-Spirit
Asren Free-Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Calith Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:13 pm

Asren Free-Spirit wrote:Wind guide you, and try not to stab the tome. And as a suggestion, just throw it in a body of water if it scares you badly enough.

A reasonable suggestion, but considering what the last person who tried to destroy one just stated, apparently these things can fly. They'd need to be heavily weighted down first.
Calith
Calith

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down